CALIFORNIA.STATERECORDS.ORG IS A PRIVATELY OWNED WEBSITE THAT IS NOT OWNED OR OPERATED BY ANY STATE GOVERNMENT AGENCY. is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”). You understand and acknowledge that these reports are NOT “consumer reports” as defined by the FCRA. Your access and use of a report is subject to our Terms of Service and you expressly acknowledge that you are prohibited from using this service and this report to determine an individual’s eligibility for credit, insurance, employment or any other purpose regulated by the FCRA.

San Jose Arrest, Court, and Public Records

Crime Statistics

The San Jose Police Department (SJPD) publishes citywide annual crime statistics, detailing the breakdown of property and violent crime incidents recorded for the year. This data is publicly accessible through local libraries or the FBI website. Data released in 2017 shows that the city recorded 30,197 reported crimes. Larceny was the most common property crime with 13,510 cases followed by vehicle theft with 7,704 cases. With 2,208 report cases, aggravated assault was the most violent crime.

Compared to 2016, the city recorded a 2.32 increase in total crimes. Incidences of burglary, robbery, and rape grew by 15.61%, 15.77%, and 7.71%. Homicide and vehicle theft however slipped by 12.50% and 4.51% respectively. In addition to its official crimes statistics, the SJPPD receives official crime summaries of data submitted through the UCR program from the California Department of Justice (DOJ).

How to Find Police Reports and Arrest Records

Police records and police reports may be obtained from the Records Unit of the SJPD located at 201 West Mission Street, San Jose, CA 95110. The office opens between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. every day. Depending on the type of record, request for reports may be made by U.S mail, telephone or in person.

To formally obtain a police traffic and crime report by mail, download and complete a police request form. It must include the requester's full name, address, and phone number as well as the case report number, date of the incident and location of the incident. Requests must also include a reason for the application, a copy of valid photo ID as well as a check made out to the "City of San Jose". Accident reports cost $16 while crime reports are calculated based on the number of pages. For public record requests, download and complete a public record request form.

Note: The SJPD only releases police reports to defendants (or the individuals named in the report), insurance agents, authorized representatives of the person(s) named in the report and government officials.

How to Obtain Information on Registered Sex Offenders

The California Department of Justice maintains a searchable online website that provides information on registered serious and high-risk sex offenders. Search results include the offender’s name, photograph, date of birth, physical description and the offense for which they were convicted. It also provides zip codes based on the last address.

How to Find Inmate and Jail Information

The Department of Correction for the County of Santa Clara maintains records on inmates, the location of correctional inmate facilities, and daily population statistics. It also provides access to an online web application that interested parties can use to search for inmate booking information. To search the portal, requestors will need either the inmate’s personal file number (PFN), the booking number assigned by the department of correction, or the inmate’s name and the date of booking.

How to Find Court Records

Court records for the city of San Jose fall under the jurisdiction of the Superior Court of Santa Clara County. However, not all court records are open to the public. The court restricts access to sensitive court files such as criminal history information, medical information, probation reports, protective orders for domestic violence and any document that lists the name, phone number or address of a victim.

To obtain a copy of a court record, applicants must have the case number. Individuals who don’t already have a case number can find one by:

  1. Visiting the Clerk’s office where the case was filed
  2. Searching the court’s online criminal index. It includes cases filed in 2004 and after. Searches can be made using the defendant’s name and the year the case was filed
  3. Mailing the Clerk’s office and requesting or a search (searches that take longer than ten minutes come with a fee)

Requesters who already have a case number, can obtain a court document by writing an application, stating the full name of the document, name of the defendant, case number. The letter should also specify whether the request is for a certified copy. Mailed requests should be sent in a self-addressed stamped envelope with a check made out the Clerk of the Superior Court.

Conducting a search is subject to our Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.

Vital Records

The City of San Jose does not manage divorce, birth, marriage or death records. Instead, divorce records are managed by the Santa Clara County Superior Court, while the Santa Clara County manages birth, death, and marriage certificates.

How to Find Divorce Records

Residents of San Jose can obtain copies of divorce records in person or by mail. To request for divorce documents directly, visit the courthouse located at 201 N. First Street, San Jose, CA. To get copies of divorce records through the mail, download and complete a family records request form and mail the request to:

Superior Court - FJC
Records Request
191 North First Street
San Jose, CA, 95113

Individuals must fill out their name, mailing address, and the case number (if known). Requests must also be accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope (with sufficient postage) and a check made payable to the Superior Court. The court charges a $15.00 search fee for any record that takes longer than 10 minutes to search. This typically occurs when requestors fail to provide a case number. Other charges include $15.00 for a certified copy of a divorce record.

How to Find Birth and Death Records

The Santa Clara County Clerk-Recorder's Office maintains birth and death records that have occurred in the county since 1873. It provides two types of birth copies on request: certified authorized copies and certified information copies.

To obtain a certified authorized copy of a birth certificate, requesters must provide a notarized sworn statement declaring legally authorized to receive one. Eligible applicants include parents or legal guardians of the registrant. Others include children, grandchildren, siblings, spouses or domestic partners as well as attorneys representing the registrant.

Note: A sworn statement is not required for requests made in person.